Thursday, September 30, 2010

Peace Like a River - Leif Enger

This book is like a blueberry muffin – tasty, yet filling. The writing style is the tasty part. It wraps the story in memoirs of the characters (like Dad walking on the hand of God), humorous narrative, and unique and creative descriptions of the characters. (“A practical build, big up top, one of those men you realize why it’s called a chest – you had the feeling he had all the tools he needed in there and all in working order and daily use…” pg. 227)

The characters are wonderful. I shall now introduce to you the Land family. Dad is a man of few words who has an amazing relationship with God. Davey is a driven, determined older brother. Swede is nine – a lovable kid sister who is a precocious writer and a lover of the Old West. Reuben leads the story in first-person – he is a deep thinking 11 year old who has suffered from asthma attacks ever since birth. Throughout the story, more characters come in who are equally well developed.

A “special-feature” to this book is the scattered collection of poetry written by Swede. Her hero, Sunny Sundown, battles his way through various western adventures in pursuit of the elusive villain, Valdez. The rhythmic poems inspire some funny talks between Reuben and his sister, and also tie in to the main plot line.

Because of all this, you realize why this book is so filling. You can only read so much at a time without being overwhelmed. My problem was that I took too long of a break between readings, so at one point I had completely forgotten who one person was and why the main character was mad at him. For this reason, the book is going on my re-read list.

Concerning the plot-line, it is a relatively simple one – outshined by characters and narrative. But don’t take that wrong, it is perfectly acceptable in such a case. When two boys attempt to take down Davey’s girlfriend Dolly in the locker room, Dad’s there to knock their heads together and shoo them away. The two boys, however, threaten to get back at the Lands, and during one of their tries, Davey shoots one boy clean dead.

Davey is taken to jail, in spite of the consternation of Reuben and Swede. When he escapes before his trial, the family sets out in an old Airstream trailer, in hope of seeing God work a miracle in their lives.

And in the end, He does the greatest miracle of all.


cover.php.jpg

2 comments:

Mia said...

I have not finished this book, but I loved it when I was reading it this summer. I got to the point where they are discussing traveling south before I stopped reading, because I wanted to give the story my full attention but simply couldn't; busy times! :P

I can't wait for the perfect time to finish it. :)

Jennifer R said...

Great post!!