I was spending the evening with a great big stack o' Horse & Riders given to me by Margaret Rowena when I came across a "Things to Do With Horses Before You Die" kind of article. Naturally, I decided to do a blog post on mine.
- Gallop my horse on a beach.
YES! This is one of my most important. And while I'm at this "beach", I might as well...
- Swim with my horse.
I did this at camp three years ago, I think, and it was safe to say that it was the highlight of the whole week. And it was a fun week, too. I rode this big black Percheron named Jack, and one of the counselors led us around in the water. I could have done it forever, but we only got two turns. And it'd be way more fun to direct the horse yourself. :)
- Go foxhunting. (Draghunting; aka, no real fox.) I got this idea from the magazine. Wouldn't it be awesome?
- Go on an overnight horse camping trip. Ahh, just like Darby and Hoku in the Wild Horse Island series. Except I don't believe I'd want to be alone.
- Ride with a drill team. This is one of my more feasible goals. I just need to do a little research on 4-H drill team.
- Go on a cattle drive. YESS! A real old-west thing to do, this, with no judges peering over their glasses at you with little notepads. Hours in the saddle ending with beans and bacon over a campfire, only to wake again and start all over, blissfully sore from so much riding.
- Do the apprenticeship program at Miracle Mountain Ranch. My parents and I have already discussed this, and I hope to go when I'm 18. In three years!! This is most of my motivation for PSEO.
- Teach a child to ride. I've done this for maybe one time per child, but I think it would be cool to actually watch their progress. One girl I led around on Indy wanted to trot, but I told her I didn't think we could because I told her mom we'd just walk. Indy, however, had his own ideas and trotted in a little circle in response to some loud noise. "Well, Grace," I said. "That was a trot." She responded with a big grin and a loud, "COOL!!!"
- Learn how to trim hooves. A very useful skill indeed.
- Do an Extreme Cowboy Race. Looks extremely hard, but really fun, if you had a good horse for it! Here's a video.
- Ride bareback, bridleless, and well. I've loped with just a halter, but not with the best control! There was a video of Stacy Westfall I was going to post here, but it was "removed by the user." :( Here's a picture, anyway...(not mine)
I may be ambitious, but no sweat if I don't do any of these before I die...I'll just do them in heaven! :)
Love,
Ellyn


6 comments:
Sound like pretty good ideas to me! Especially the riding your horse in water......how cool would that be!!
Did you read the Phantom Stallion series at all?
~lily
I hope you get to do every last one- then you can come up with some more!
"Go on an overnight horse camping trip."
That would be fun! I wonder what it would be like if I ever got the chance to do it. *goes off into a dream gaze* ;D
"Do the apprenticeship program at Miracle Mountain Ranch"
I'm a bit curious about that. What's it all about? What do you have to do if you become an apprentice at that ranch?
"Do an Extreme Cowboy Race"
Looks hard, but amazing though!
"Ride bareback, bridleless, and well"
That sounds so cool! Maybe when I'm a bit more experienced I might be able to do that with one of my uncles' horses.
Sounds like a plan overall! I hope you achieve them! Good luck!
*responding to YOUR comment*
I love the series too! And lol, same problem with me: My library only had a select few. I got to read the first 10, then I had to skip all the way to the end. :D Such a great series though----do you think Jake actually has a crush on Sam? Or is he just like a big brother? I still can't really tell.
~lily
Ooh sounds like fun! lol I love horses, and I love H&R magazine, but I don't have a horse. :( So I'm rather jealous of you right now. ;) I found your blog a few weeks ago, and I really like it. Looks like we have a lot in common. :)
(hmm, what kind of symbol? A certain word, or something like: ~~**~~?)
I agree with your thought: But it might take Sam a little longer to realize how much Jake likes her. *sighs* If I could live in a modern series, that would be the one.
~lily
Post a Comment